Tuesday, October 16, 2007

FoG Burnout, Absence, Friendships...

Looking back, I can't say I know how I survived the intensity of the 2nd Anniversary 2x EXP Event during May. I was grinding at least 5 days a week while working full time as an Educational Assistant, under which capacity I was heavily involved in the school production, the school's talent show, formed and performed in a rock/metal band with some of my grade eight students, and presented an award at graduation. June kept me busy and away from MS, but even after school ended in late June, I just had a complete withdrawal from MapleStory. I realized that my ambition to grind was thwarted and I was ambivalent, if not reluctant, to go back. I found myself asking: What was my motivation for playing? Despite earning my 3rd job advancement and Jr. ship in one of the most elite guilds in Windia, Illusion, I could not convince myself to play. I was absent for about three months during which time I focused on music theory and bass guitar, Diablo II: LoD, and even dabbled in WoW for a bit.

However, my absence gave me a renewed perception. In that time...

...the economy 'suffered' from *mass* deflation - 60% Glove ATT scrolls that I had been planning to sell for +8M (a reasonable price then), were now less than 1.8M.
... Illusion, headed by Ichigo522, Gac, slowly began to unravel, as more and more people were just 'disappearing,' Gac included, and the guild drastically dropped in the rankings.
... many of my peers greatly surpassed me in levels.
... and, let's not forget, several new towns where added.

When I returned in early September, I was surprised to be greeted warmly by many people - Tim, Linda, Dave to name a few. Rather than being booted from the guild and pronounced 'a deserter,' I was welcomed back openly. Further to my surprise, just shortly after my return, Linda and Tim, who where both very active during my absence (Linda was 11X when I got back!) and displeased with the current guild situation, included me in a discussion of guild politics wherein we concluded to found a new guild, 'Grind.' Indeed, guilds situate one within vast networks of power, mutual benefit and reciprocity.

Very recently, I was struck by a sudden quandary - I have been actively involved in online gaming (co-operative and competitive) for at least seven years in various games - StarCraft, CounterStrike, Diablo, Diablo II: Lord of Destruction - yet, despite all of this, I would have been (and to a certain degree, still am) hesitant to call many of the people I have met online 'friends.' MapleStory has certainly challenged my perceptions of friendship and I am only now coming to realize that. Indeed, I can now say that I do consider many of these people friends. Evidently, community created through guild membership and friendship networks are fruitful areas for future research.

As for EvilCowKing, now level 75, he is really beefing up - and I am spending millions in obtaining the best possible gear that I can afford for him (4.5M for a +5 Str Dark Dragon Babuta [-I didn't know they existed until a few days ago], 13M for a +10 Str Orihalcon Platine with 5 remaining slots; unfortunately, I'm still stuck with a level 60 weapon [finely scrolled with 2 10%s and 1 60%, which, I might add, is greater than a level 70 Judgement with 6 60%s]). Nevertheless, it's taken its toll financially and I'm now left with a meagre 10M in the bank. Considering that Ghost Pirates will be very expensive training, being poor is extremely undesirable. After all, how can I pass up +20% and hour?

Lastly, on a more academic note, I'm working on/will be working on grad school application stuff over the next while. Let's hope everything goes according to plan...

No comments: