Thursday, May 24, 2007

Participant Observation and KSing at FoG...

A central tenet of anthropology is participant observation, a research method where the researcher lives for an extended period of time with the community being studied. This method serves both as an analytical and data collection tool, and is a very common practice amongst modern anthropologists.

The early decades of anthropology are often referred to as 'arm chair anthropology,' because anthropologists of the time did not go out 'into the field.' That is, intellectuals such as Lewis Henry Morgan, constructed grand theories about human evolution in their libraries, studies, etc. and then 'supported' their ethnocentric claims with travellers' accounts, missionary reports, etc. - (sometimes questionable) works written by others. Clearly, participant observation was considered of little value.

Another key source of information for anthropologists are interviews with community members. Interviewees, referred to as 'informants,' can make invaluable contributions to ethnographies (anthropological studies). Therefore, it is imperative that an anthropologist has strong connections with knowledgeable individuals in the community.

I am grateful and proud to be a part of Windia's most elite guilds, Illusion. However, in order to conduct further research, I need access to even more individuals than guildmates. Already I am making more attempts to befriend more Maplers. One basic way is through partying. Throughout my entire time on MapleStory, most of my experiences revolved around solo grinding. Only now am I coming to realize that partying has many potential, long-term benefits.

Yesterday I reached 66 during the 2x EXP event while training in a full party with some awesome individuals. We dominated FoG and drove away most would-be KSers. =) It all happened quite serendipitously, as I was only intending to party one of my recent buddies - a fellow Page. When the opportunity arose, I expanded the party to include a sin, DK, fighter and cleric. It was great.

I believe that some aspects of my initial research were hampered by my class and level. I was in my mid-50s at the time, and although I was able to recruit informants (-on facebook, anyway), getting respect was difficult, as I was often confronted by "lol page" or "lol bw page" remarks. Now that I'm nearly a WK, I've noticed that random Maplers are much less hesitant to party me and to actually talk to me. Things are looking good. ^_^

1 comment:

viXXXen said...

Wow, this is cool Sebastian. I've bookmarked this. Would love to see how this develops. And as the Page friend you talked about boy do I notice how different people treat me now that I am a White Knight.

Right from the start Magicians and Thieves would make fun... "oh Warriors are so slow". I think this just made me more determined to make WK. Now people are always requesting to party with me. People I've never met before walk up to me and start talking to me and fame me for no reason. People think White Knights are cool.

I was also amazed at the support there was for me when I was going for the WK challenge, both inside the guild and people I would come across. Wow, what a change in attitude from fellow Maplers.

Anyways, good luck with your study. It would be awesome to read it if you get it published or something.

Malinmar, White Knight